Login refused

Fortunately I did not do a dist-upgrade with my 2.2 disks right away.
I first did a new install on another partition.  apt dist-upgrade
resulted in my old system being unusable.  I can use the data of the
old installation from the new installation by mounting the old
partition, but my old system would not allow me to log in.

In the startup-messages there was something about a PAM error but as
gpm is not working I could not cut and paste it into this mail.

It is not that it refuses my password.  It does not even ask for a
password. The login-prompt just reappears.

Is there a way to solve this?

Johann.
--
J.H. Spies - Tel/Faks +27-21-876-2337 Sel/Cell +27-82 898 1528
     "Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of