Re: How to mount another partition as home?

Johann Spies <jhspies@adept.co.za> wrote:
>/dev/hda8	/home/js	ext2	defaults,rw,user  0  1
>
>and it left me with a ~ directory where I can not run any binary  -
>even if I create it as js.

mount(8) notes that user implies noexec, nosuid, and nodev. You'll need
to add 'exec' to the list of options there. (Also, rw is the default
anyway, and you only need to explicitly mention defaults if there are no
other options.)

However, I don't think you should be mounting that partition as a
user; for a start, if you don't mount it at boot-time you'll have an
empty home directory. You are mounting it at boot-time above (though the
last field should be 2, not 1, when it's not the root directory), so
there's no need for the user option anyway.

System partitions (like /usr/local and /usr/share, which you also
mentioned) should definitely not be mounted as a user. The main use for
that option is probably removable drives like floppies and CD-ROMs.

In summary:

/dev/hda8	/home/js	ext2	defaults	0	2