Re: ppp/wvdial help!

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 10:26:57PM +0200, thus spake Marc Maute:
> hi,
> I dont know if I`m really connected
> the ifconfig show me a entry for ppp0
> but no packages were recieved.
> How can I look at the output from the ppp/options?
> After I had add debug nothing changed.
> And I think I have not entered a IP for DNS
> So I dont know what the problem is.
> Again the probleme is: i start wvdial
> I think it connect to my provider, it is
> the same wvdial.conf file as from my redhat system.
> So that is not the problem, the problem is
> if I try to ping or load ... nothing happens.
> Marc

What have you got in /etc/resolv.conf ?  This kind of problem on
Mandrake was typically caused by not having the DNS numbers you
need in that file.

search localdomain

Or whatever your ISP's nameservers happen to be (they should be
able to tell you this - if not,  ditch 'em!).

The basic procedure as set out in the WVdial faq ia
-------> snip  <-------------
3. Quick start.

Assuming everything works perfectly, the following will get you on-line if
you're running as root.
- wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
- vi /etc/wvdial.conf           [edit username/password/phone]
- vi /etc/resolv.conf           [edit nameservers]
- wvdial

Why not hide your current wvdial.conf and start again?

Have you tried pppconfig with pon and poff?

Glyn M

       * "The soul is greater than the hum of its parts. "  *
       *                 Douglas Hoftstatder                *