Re: how can I add disk space?

Adam Scriven <scriven@lore.com> writes:

> LVM is a much more flexible method, because it uses smaller partitions, and
> can move them around on the fly.  I haven't done as much research in this
> department, but it does seem very interesting.  Basically, you setup partitions
> on your drives, and allocate those partitions to "Logical Volumes".  Then
> you mount your filesystems (/usr, /home, /var, ETC.) onto a logical volume.
> If you need more space, take space out of one LV, and move it to another,
> no problems.
> I'm very curious about LVM, since I've got a number of 15GB drives in my
> fileserver that are separate right now, that I'd like to combine into a usable
> whole, but RAID 0 doesn't give me much redundancy.
> What is the redundancy in LVM?  Is there any?
> if you lose a LV, do you lose everything (A La RAID 0), or is there some
> method of rebuilding that information (A La RAID 5)?

 At it's simplest level LVM just groups together, and manages, blocks
from separate disks (kind of like raid 0, but with more
control). However most LVMs also provide at least raid 1 over the
LVs, and I believe the Linux version supports that[1] and I think raid
5 is also planned (if not already implemented).
 I know that when IBM announced that they were planning a new type of
LVM for AIX/Linux they said they needed to do the redesign because
they wanted to support lots of different things automatically at the
LV level.

[1] This is from remembering what I've read on the Linux kernel
mailing list.

--
James Antill -- james@and.org
"If we can't keep this sort of thing out of the kernel, we might as well