RE: Serial port tunnel...

Cool How-to. Does anybody now how to get access to a modem in a windows box
from a linux machine? So I can use a f. winmodem on a windows machine.

                    "Ingles, Raymond"
                    <Ray.Ingles@fanucrob        Para:   'Max Lock' <max@tele2.co.uk>,
                    otics.com>                  debian-user
                                                <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
                    05/10/00 09:56              cc:
                                                Assunto:     RE: Serial port tunnel...

> From: Max Lock [mailto:max@tele2.co.uk]

>  I'm sure I saw some software that will tunnel a serial port
> over IP and make it appear as a local device on a remote machine.

 Closest I know of is what you probably found, in the Linux Modem
Sharing mini-howto. Allows you to connect to a remote modem via IP.
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Linux-Modem-Sharing.html

 You might be able to set up a daemon on the local machine that
talks to the modemd on the other machine, and presents a fifo in
the /dev directory for devices to talk to. Not sure you could get
ioctl's that way, though.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles        (248) 377-7735          ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

    "The Most Significant Bit in any computer is the power switch."
                             Anonymous