where is mysql?

hey list,

I have a couple of fairly easy ones, I think.

I'm installing php.  I have tried to add mysql both with
apt-get, and by compiling it.  I get a config error,
"no curses/termcap library found", and I clearly do have
libncurses.

when I chose to just use the mysql client and server debs,
I couldn't pin down the directory where mysql was installed.
The php configure option,
--with-mysql=/path/to/dir/
just plain stumped me.  If I compile mysql, I can just stick it
in /usr/local/mysql...

Either way, I don't care, just so long as I know what to tell php.
any ideas?

thanks.
--

Spend less time composing sigs.