installer won't boot on Mac IIcx

My apologies if this has been covered -- I'm brand new
to the list and to Debian.

I am attempting to install potato on a Mac IIcx.
Following the Mac install instructions to the letter
--I set up Penguin(18) with "linux" as the kernel and
"root.bin" as the ramdisk -- hit "boot now" in Penguin
-- Finder disappears, screen changes color, a penguin
logo appears along with a few lines of text, then the
whole thing freezes.

Just for kicks I tried the same thing but with no
ramdisk specified -- this time it got much farther
along in the boot process before dying, after many
SCSI errors (probably because it couldn't find any
disk!).

Is this a common problem?  Is there some really simple
parameter I'm missing, like "boot=/dev/ram"
(instructions are unclear on this point).

Thanks,
Rich