Slash / insertion / problem

I just intalled Deb 2.2 at work to use as a cgi testing base, and it's
giving me a problem I've never seen before: during a root login, keypresses
are seemingly randomly converted to forward slash (/) symbols. So I might
type 'apt-get' but get 'a/t-/et' instead. I have to delete and retype until
I get the letter I'm after. The keyboard's fine. Root is running the 2.2
defualt Bash for a shell. The odd thing is, other accounts using Bash don't
have the problem. There's no problem during login, and if I launch a second
Bash shell as root, it behaves perfectly. When I quit back to the original
shell, the problem is still there.

Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks,

Nick