Re: Help with mouse - newbie

On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 03:03:08PM +0800, thus spake CHEONG, Shu Yang [Patrick]:
> Have been following your thread....well here is what you need to do.
>
> Fire up dselect and select #1. Change the source to the cdrom...I think it's
> the last option....

I think he said that he doesn't get a cdrom option with dselect -
neither do I!

This is what I did, for what its worth, which may not be a lot.
As root
1. Rename /etc/apt/sources.list ( I went for  /etc/apt/sources.listnet, so I canuse it later on the net...)

2. gb@bg# touch /etc/apt/sources.list (creates a new,empty file)

3. gb@bg# apt-cdrom

This will prompt you to insert your cdroms into the drive.  You
need to scan all three.

4. While you are at the command line run "apt-get update" to
update apt's database.

5.  Then run dselect.  You will need to run the "update" option
before trying to select any files.

There - that worked here. There is probably  a more elegant way,
but I'm a beginner too! When you want to start upgrading via
the internet, change the names on your /etc/apt/sources files and
remember to run "update" - apt is only as good as its database.

HTH

Glyn M
       * "The soul is greater than the hum of its parts. "  *
       *                 Douglas Hoftstatder                *