Re: firewall (fwd)

On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 11:51:50AM -0700, George Bonser wrote:
> > This isn't necessarily the case.  It certainly appears to vary by
> > region.  They don't do it here (Denver, Colorado).  Perhaps this is
> > because DSL is so easily available :}
>
> One interesting thing that many providers are doing is not allowing any
> VPN traffic. If you want to "telecommute" and work from home, your company
> is going to have to buy you a commercial VPN capable account. The
> reasoning from the ISP standpoint is that the pricing on home accounts is
> very low. They are designed for private personal use. If you want to put
> these accounts into commercial service (they view a company offering
> employees a VPN connection into the company net for purposes of performing
> work to be commercial use) then you are going to need to buy a commercial
> account (or, rather, your EMPLOYER will need to purchase the account).
>
> Individual home internet accounts are a "loss leader" for most ISP's. They
> don't make beans from them and make their real money offering services to
> business. In that light, I really can't blame them.

Over here in the UK, the ISP is free and the telecommunications network is
what charges. ISPs here make money from the cost of phone calls to them (flat
rate options are only just becomming available) or from advertising (they
do nasty things like try to set the homepage of your browser to their own
site). Neither the communication people nor the ISPs want you to use up too
much of their bandwidth and so ADSL or cable modems or ISDN in reality are
not feasible options for us. Thus we're limited to 56K modems.

Apart from echo requests, I don't think the ISPs do anything in terms of
scanning here: we get lines dropped after 2 hours, but they never complain
about running servers: I run web servers and games servers on my box, and
have never had a complaint. Examining the syslog shows nothing weird either.

> It is going to get much more difficult as time goes by to find a basic
> home account that will let you do much more than act as a basic client.

As always, you get what you pay for. However, I do think it is a bit much
for an ISP to scan their clients - it's using up bandwidth, and afterall, most
windows users don't even realise that their NetBIOS port (139) is open, and
in most cases their personal pooy web server is also running in the
background. Are non windows users being penalised just because they are more
likely to know what they are doing and to make use of these technologies?
Are the ISPs really trying to lobby microsoft into having printer and network
sharing turned off by default and to remove the pws?

Matthew