Re: maximum file number

"=?iso-2022-jp?B?GyRCMDJFRDluSH4bKEI=?=" <ashida@gray.co.jp> wrote:
>I will manage about 100,000,000 files in near future.
>How many files does one directory has?
>
>I am afraid of the performance,

You should be. The ext2 filesystem searches directories linearly, so
performance on a directory containing 100 million files will be utterly
abysmal.

>and please teach me good idea for the problem.

If you split it up into several levels it might be feasible. Otherwise,
consider looking at a filesystem like ext3 or reiserfs (I'm not sure if
even they can handle directories that large, though).