Re: Mutt Address book

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 12:11:43PM -0400, Harry Henry Gebel wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 08:51:56AM -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> > > Mutt has alias completion, so if you had an alias "associates" you could
> > > type "assco" and then TAB and it would fill it in (or give you a menu for
> > > multiple addresses. If you hit TAB on a empty "To:" line it will give you a
> > > menu with all of your aliases. I think there is a command to automatically
> > > add an alias to .muttrc, but I like to keep my aliases in order so I don't
> > > know what that command is.
> >
> > 'a'
> >
> > I tend to run a sort on my mutt address list (which I keep in a seperate
> > file from .muttrc) periodically.
> >

> Unfortunately, that only works if you are keeping them in alphabetical
> order or some other order that the computer can easily deduce. I keep them
> in order by category, how long I have known the person (if it's a person),
> and whether I have ever met them face-to-face.

sure would be nice, then, to have multiple alias files, eh?

	Unlike other mailers, Mutt doesn't require aliases to be defined
	in a special file. The alias command can appear anywhere
	in a configuration file, as long as this file is sourced.
	Consequently, you can have multiple alias files, or you can have
	all aliases defined in your muttrc.

	On the other hand, the create-alias function can use only one
	file, the one pointed to by the $alias_file variable (which is
	~/.muttrc by default). This file is not special either, in the
	sense that Mutt will happily append aliases to any file, but in
	order for the new aliases to take effect you need to explicitly
	source this file too.

	For example:

		source /usr/local/share/Mutt.aliases
		source ~/.mail_aliases
		set alias_file=~/.mail_aliases

from /usr/share/doc/mutt/html/manual-3.html

so your quickie 'a' key will only append to one file (which seems
sensible until something better rears its head) but you can have
several, and sort'm however you like.