Problems with samba / printing

Hello

Whereabouts do you think the following problem lies?

I can print on the system directly using "lpr", but when accessing
the printer via its Samba share, there is only a file written to the
printer spool directory (with the correct permissions and all), but
nothing is actually printed out.

I then have to do a "lpr $THATFILENAME" and the thing gets printed out;
just as originally intended.

"lpd" is up and running.  The printer is a Canon BJC-4550.

I can't provide you with any further details just now, as I don't have
access to that system now.

I'd be glad for any hints on things to look into.

Thanks in advance
Sven
--
The program required me to install Windows 95 or better ...
	... so I installed Linux.