APT::Force-LoopBreak ??

After running an apt-get update in woody, I ran an apt-get -s
dist-upgrade to see which packages were going to be upgraded, and I was
given this error message:

E: This installation run will require temporarily removing the essential
package libpam-modules due to a Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. This is
often bad, but if you really want to do it, activate the
APT::Force-LoopBreak option.
E: Internal Error, Could not early remove libpam-modules

Looking in man apt.conf, I see this:

Force-LoopBreak
       Never Enable this option unless you  -really-  know
       what  you  are doing. It permits APT to temporarily
       remove   an   essential   package   to   break    a
       Conflicts/Conflicts  or  Conflicts/Pre-Depend  loop
       between two essential packages. SUCH A LOOP  SHOULD
       NEVER  EXIST  AND  IS A GRAVE BUG. This option will
       work if the essential packages are not  tar,  gzip,
       libc,  dpkg,  bash  or anything that those packages
       depend on.

Okay, so I can't dist-upgrade because of a problem that I shouldn't work
around because it's "A GRAVE BUG" and I don't "-really- know" what I'm
doing -- so, what am I supposed to do?

--
Tom
"No idea is so antiquated that it was not once modern; no idea is so