Re: Anyone want a utility to find the best mirror?

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Joe Emenaker wrote:
> > This is a nice idea.  You are doing both http _and_ ftp, right?
>
> Not yet. Do you have any numbers on how many people actually use http for
> dselect? Strangely, I've almost always used FTP for transferring files and
> HTTP for transferring hypertext. Call me silly....

These days, http is the preference of anyone behind a firewall (more and
more people all the time).  FTP is a complex protocol, using multiple
ports (and active versus passive diferences, since only passive works
behind the firewall).  Http is allowed through most firewalls, and caches
really well.  Debian has a apt-cache program that works great for exactly
that purpose.  You are doing a one way transfer, file at a time, and http
shines for that.

> I'll take a look at netselect and see if I can get it to give me the top X
> in the list. Last time I ran it, it just kinda sat there for a minute and
> then it just blurted out one host name.

You can make it return the top X, you can also make it return stats.
Using perl, you can then look at the results and figure out which boxes to
check further.