half-installed packages

I was walking my gf through an install of Debian (it didn't scare her,
and she's no techie), and everything went fine until she tried
installing some stuff.

Installing task-x-window-system basically choked, and now she is left
with a bunch of half-installed packages.  I can't tinker with it myself
since she is annoyingly located hundreds of miles away from me.

What is the official correct way to deal with lots of half-installed
packages?

Also, while I'm asking, if you install a task, what's the quickest and
easiest way to just get rid of everything it installs?  She installed a
couple other tasks in tasksel before realizing it would probably be
better to start with a minimal system and apt-get as needed..

--
Tom
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."