Need advice on Postscript/PCL printer

Hello,

Please CC to me any answer for I'm just on debian-laptop at the
moment, but I have renounced buying a portable printer so I may get
flamed if I ask there ;-) (not true of course, I've seen very nice
hints on formatting and printing ascii files recently on
debian-laptop).

I am to buy an entry level monochrome laser printer (it seems as when
it comes to text and music scores a 600dpi laser is better than any
inkjet) and of course I'm looking for one that works with
Debian. (I'll add some details just in case anybody else is interested
in the matter, I'm in Paris, France, so I guess the prices are not so
interesting on the list, anyway the three printers mentioned here are
more or less the same price.)

The Lexmark Optra E312 (600x600dpi, 4Mbytes RAM, 10ppm, 3 years
replacement-at-home warranty, relatively cheap toner cartridge [5000
pages] with builtin photoconductor) claims "Postscript2+pcl6
emulations".

Could I just send to it the Postscript files produced with the tools
commonly used in Linux?

(It is not marked "Adobe Postscript" [and evidently not "Adobe
Postscript 3"], is it some "dialect" from IBM?)

I guess a PCL-only printer would also do, maybe via Ghostscript as a
translator, but what would it miss compared to a Postscript printer?

Actually, other candidates with PCL but no Postscript are:

- Brother HL-P2500, 600x600dpi, 4Mbytes, 12ppm, 600dpi builtin scanner
  but of course just for sheets and in good health, relatively cheap
  toner cartridge (6000 pages) with no builtin photoconductor (20000
  pages), 1 year no replacement and of course not home serviced
  warranty;

- Epson EPL-5800, 1200x1200dpi, 16Mbytes, more expensive fine grain
  toner (6000 pages) with no builtin photoconductor (20000 pages), 1
  year no replacement and of course not home serviced warranty, among
  the options there is "Adobe Postscript 3.0" but the price is nearly
  60% of the price without it!

Thanks for any advice,
Nicola Bernardelli