Re: laptop hot swapping

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, David Smock wrote:

> stuff works great.  My only problem is hot swapping drives - is there
> any way to get linux to recognize the fact that ive changed block
> devices?

You mean you swap between floppy and CDROM drives?

If you compile these drivers as modules you should get the desired effect
by unloading the CDROM module before you take it out, and then loading the
floppy module after it is connected.  You may have to boot with the CD-ROM
in in order for it to ever show up.  And you will probably have to compile
the kernel so the CD-ROM uses SCSI emulation, too.  This is also subject
to being able to compile the floppy driver as a module.  (Having never
seen the need to do this, I don't know whether it is possible or not).

If you do all this, I think it would probably work :}