Re: SW under /usr/local/

On Fri Sep 29, 2000 at 00:23:55 -0700, Willy Lee wrote:
> "Colin" == Colin Watson <cjw44@flatline.org.uk> writes:
>
> > Sven Burgener <svenb@bluewin.ch> wrote:
> >> Quick question on administration:
> >>
> >> what exactly is the best way to deal with locally installed
> >> software from source under the /usr/local/ or /opt/ tree?
> >>
> >> I use GNU stow, but never actually saw anyone suggesting this to be
> >> *the* method.
>
> > You have now ;) That's exactly how I deal with it, and I haven't
> > seen anything that can do the job as well ...
>
> > And the symlink algorithm it uses just *rocks*.
>
> You have piqued my curiosity.  What is GNU stow, why is it so cool,
> and is there a URL I should look at?

You can find stow on every GNU mirror, the website is
http://www.gnu.org/software/stow/

Maybe you also want to look at
http://www.inf.tu-dresden.de/~al10/stowES/

Makes my life with stow a lot more easier :-)

Adam
--
Adam                 al10@inf.tu-dresden.de
  Lackorzynski         http://a.home.dhs.org