Dual NIC Problem

I am a new Debian (2.2) user and am trying to set up an Intel machine for
two NIC cards.  One NIC will monitor (tcpdump) one ethernet segment while I
telnet into the machine on the other NIC on another segment.  eth0 is on the
segment I want to monitor. eth1 is the one I was planning to telnet into.
The problem is that I do not get a login prompt when I telnet into the
device, I get a "telnet> " prompt.  If someone could point me in the right
direction, either to some written resources or advice, I would greatly
appreciate it.

Thanks,

Brian