Re: I'm afraid I've been cracked.

Try using aide--it checks your filesystem (checksums, inodes, timestamps, lots more)
to make sure that nothing's been tampered, and mails you a daily report.
http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/admin/aide.html.  It's good stuff, expecially
on machines that are just sitting around with minimal input from you.  It basically
does all of what you did to check your system integrity, only on a larger scale.

--Mike