Re: OT what happens to mail when...

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 03:03:51PM -0500, William Jensen wrote:
> Warning: Ignorant question coming...
>
> I've registered a domain, setup deb to be 'on' the net and have exim directly
> handling the mail sent directly to the domain.  What happens to mail that is
> sent to the domain when I'm rebooted into windows and playing games?

Two possibilities:

1)  The person handling the DNS zone file for your domain has set up an MX
record pointing at your ISP's mail server.  In this case, the mail will be
sent to your ISP's server, which will then attempt to deliver it periodically
until it succeeds.

2)  No MX record exists.  Anything can happen, depending on the sender's mail
client.  They might retry for up to 5 days (I don't think I've seen anyone
keep trying longer than that) or they might call the message undeliverable
and bounce it immediately.  Since your DNS entry doesn't specify a fallback
plan for delivery, they're free to handle it however they want.

MX records are a Good Thing...

Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv b+ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+