Re: I'm afraid I've been cracked.

> Use "lsof -i | grep <port>" to find out exactly what binary is running
> on that port.  Then you can find out where it's at.  Are there any
> other hidden utils, etc?  I'd also do a "netstat -an" and see what is
> connected to your mystery port.  Find out where your attacker is coming
> from.

That, of course, assumes the 'netstat' and 'lsof' binaries haven't been
trojaned to hide the tools used by the attacker.

> Thus spake Steve Juranich (sjuranic@kant.ee.washington.edu):
>
> > Well, I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention and I had every unnecessary
> > port closed... or so I thought.  I was still running the portmapper.  So
> > when I ssh'd home today and nmapped myself, a couple of mysterious processes
> > popped up.
> >
> > To begin with: I nmapped my box and saw, much to my dismay:
> >
> > Port    State       Protocol  Service
> > 22      open        tcp        ssh
> > 111     open        tcp        sunrpc
> > 515     open        tcp        printer
> > 1527    open        tcp        tlisrv
> > 6000    open        tcp        X11

According to nmap tcp port 1527 is used by Oracle so unless you're running
an SQL server I would say that's a back door they're getting in with.

> > As soon as I killed the portmapper, port 111 (the portmapper) and port 1527
> > (the mystery process) both died.  Then later today, I ssh'd home again and
> > saw:
> >
> > Port    State       Protocol  Service
> > 22      open        tcp        ssh
> > 515     open        tcp        printer
> > 2027    open        tcp        shadowserver
> > 6000    open        tcp        X11
> >
> > Then, by looking through /var/log/auth.log, I see that every morning at
> > around 7:35, three sessions are being opened.  Two for user 'news' by
> > (uid=0) and one for user 'nobody' also by (uid=0).

The user 'nobody' should not be loggin in.

I think it would be good to see a snippet of the /var/log/auth.log,
particularly the ones where their entry get's logged.

> > I plan on removing nntp from my box immediately, since I don't use my box as
> > a server in any way.  Can anybody please explain to me what's going on?
> > Has my box been compromised?  What do I do?
> >
> > Copious thanks in advance for any help.

There are several things I would do:

* It looks like the computer's at a university - it *might* be prudent to
  tell IT staff in charge of computers at the university know that your
  computer was broken into.  Just in case someone (ie FBI) comes knocking
  to their door/your door wondering why your computer is attacking someone
  else's...
* Try to find a way to track who is connecting to your computer at 7:35 in
  the morning with a packet sniffer - either with another computer on the
  same hub or on your computer with a tcpdump binary you prepared
  yourself.
* If you think someone is doing bad stuff with your computer law
  enforcement should know.

- --
Phil Brutsche				    pbrutsch@tux.creighton.edu

GPG fingerprint: 9BF9 D84C 37D0 4FA7 1F2D  7E5E FD94 D264 50DE 1CFC
GPG key id: 50DE1CFC
GPG public key: http://tux.creighton.edu/~pbrutsch/gpg-public-key.asc