Potato file structure

I am trying to put together my own unofficial Potato CDR. I don't want to use
the pseudo-image script because it makes use of a program ("rsync") I am
totally unfamiliar with.

I have had limited success with the CDRW I had already burned. Basically it
lets me install the base system (kernel, passwords, ppp configuration). The
installation fails at the point where I am supposed to load the packages.

This probably only means that I had chosen the correct floppy image to burn into
the CDRW's boot sector. I chose the 2.88 MB boot image at
dists/potato/main/disks-i386/2.2.16-2000-07-14/images-2.88/rescue.bin.
Otherwise something is wrong with my CD layout.

In my method, I downloaded, using recursive ftp, everything from the following
directory trees:

(1) dists/potato/ (I suppose this is the only directory I need to download)
(2) tools/
(3) doc/

What am I missing? Are there any other files I need to download?

The installer complains that my CD drive is recognized but that it doesn't hold
a Debian CD. I suspect the problem has something to do with apt-get not finding
the necessary package list.

Thanks in advance