reboot problem

I just upgraded slink to potato, with no serious problem, although some
things weren't exactly right, so I tried to reboot.

Problem : It hangs on reboot.

It's a linux-only system, and it got into lilo OK, but then it seemed
to spend a long(!) time probing for things which aren't there.
In particular, it now seems to be hung forever searching for a SCSI
drive, which I don't have.  Specifically, it hangs after displaying:

scsi0: SCSI bus busy, waiting up to five seconds
scsi0: bus busy, attempting abort

I'm wondering if the upgrade somehow screwed up the lilo configuration --
and if so, how to fix it, given that I can't get back on the system.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ken Kunen
kunen@math.wisc.edu