Re: succesor to dpkg

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 04:47:41PM -0500, Pat Mahoney wrote:
> I seem to recall talk of a new package system for debian.  The only things I
> remember are that it would understand rpm's as well as others, and I think
> its name started with the letter "h".
>
> Can anyone help me with a URL?  Or am I dreaming?

i think your dreaming.  the closest you can ever get to just
installing .rpms is alien.  this is not a format issue but a lack of
policy in redhat land.  even converting rpms into .debs is a bad idea
IMO.  in the rare cases where i need to do that i convert to tarballs
and do everything manually into /usr/local

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/