Re: [OT] History: GNUStep vs. Gnome

Hello Ian,

On 26 Sep 2000, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> Hello.  This crossed my mind more than once: why was the Gnome project
> started, when there was already something called GNUStep?  Even if not
> a full desktop, one can certainly see the beginnings of desktop-like
> functionality in WindowMaker or AfterStep.  Was it just not
> cool-looking enough? :(

Just my $0.02:
I consider it much more cool-looking than Gnome and KDE together ;-)

But I think, you can't really compare them either. Gnome resembles Windows
very much concerning the standard look and feel of it, although Gnome
surely already has much more power and configurability, so you can twist
it the way you like it.
KDE was started as a clone of CDE, the Common Desktop Environment.
GNUstep was designed with the NeXTStep look and feel in mind.
NeXTStep was the operating system on the NeXTstation, one of the most
beautiful and technically well-designed computers that was ever built!
(IMHO). Unfortunately, NeXT has been swallowed by Apple, and they ceased
development of their OS. Instead, their work was incorporated into the
OpenStep project.
This is not just a desktop environment, but also incorporates the
OpenStep specifications for a whole object oriented programming
environment, and GNUstep tries to clone the features and even enhance it.
I think GNUstep has very interesting basic concepts (quite different from
the other two desktop environments).
Regards,
Daniel