Re: ?? .Xdefaults ??

Hello Peter,

It should work, if you just rename your old .Xdefaults file into
.Xresources (it can also be done to make X read from a directory and have
files for all the single applications, but I don't remember how). In
fact, the name doesn't really matter. If you want to have resources read
from a file with another name, you can to put a line like:

xrdb filename_of_file_with_Xresources

(See 'man xrdb')

into your .xsession file. BTW, debian is not so different from other
unixes. I remember, that at the IBM RS/6000 workstations with AIX, where I
also sometimes work, it's also named .Xresources.