Re: doesn't anybody use tunnelling / vpn?

Well, most will require that you build them from source with your current
kernel source tree someplace ( or at least access to the kernel-headers
package for the kernel you are running ). Debian has a CIPE package in
non-us (or did) but I think it is a source package, you need to build it.

Woody has a vtun package ... vtun is cool but you are going to have to
know what you are doing ... just like the rest of the packages.

VTUN is probably best since it will work from behind a firewall (has a TCP
mode and a SOCKS mode) while CIPE is UDP and you are probably not going to
get return packets back through the firewall without admin intervention.