Re: XF86Config -- Made a mistake

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Joel Dinel wrote:

> While I was doing a dist-upgrade, Debian updated my Xfree86-3.3.6. It
> asked me if I wanted to keep the SVGA server as default, or make the VGA
> server the new default. By accident, I chose the VGA server. Now, my
> Blackbox runs at 2567 colors or so.
>
> How can I make the SVGA server default again ? I ran XF86Setup as root,
> and reselected SVGA in the DISPLAY section, but it doesn't seem to do
> anything.

Probably what you need to do is look at the order that your X server is
getting your 'Modes' secitons.  I believe that it accepts whatever setting
it gets first as the default.  I ran in to something similar this weekend
when I did my first Debian install.  I just commented out all of the modes
that I didn't want the X server to be using, then everything turned out
great.

Stephen W. Juranich                         sjuranic@ee.washington.edu
Electrical Engineering         http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic
University of Washington             http://rcs.ee.washington.edu/ssli