Potato/Gnome/GLIB_2.1.2 dependency problems

While not new to Linux, I have switched distributions from RedHat to a
clean install of Debian 2.2 (potato). I'm having trouble getting any of
the gnome packages that I've installed using dselect to work. For
example, I'd like to run gnome-apt, but I get the error,

gnome-apt: error in loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libglib-1.2.so.0:
symbol getpwuid_r, version GLIBC_2.1.2 not defined in file libc.so.6
with link time reference

This is the same error for all the gnome programs, whether I obtain them
from a Debian mirror or from Helix. So, I'm a bit confused. I have (what
seem to be) the correct packages installed:

libc 2.1.3-10
libglib 1.2.7-2
gnome-apt 0.3.9
other gnome support packages...

Additionally, the command "ldd gnome-apt" returns a list of fulfilled
dependencies with none missing. The package installed and configured
without a problem.

The kernel is 2.2.17, the default installed by the Debian installer. I
doubt that the packages were built incorrectly with a different version
of libc, so I'm assuming I'm missing something or doing something wrong.
It appears it can find the libc6 library, so it's not that my ld.so.conf
file is incorrect.

I've searched the old mailing lists and bug reports, but I haven't
found anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Marty

--

| Martin Sanborn		     |	email	m-sanborn@nwu.edu	   |
| Department of Chemical Engineering |	phone	(847)467-1653		   |