How easy is it to set up squid for a school?

I am ICT Coordinator in a Leicestershire High School (UK). Our network
comprises an NT 4 server and about 40 workstations running Windows 95. I
want to add a machine to act as a proxy web cache to speed up Internet
access through our meagre 128K ISDN dial-up link. I intend using Linux
and squid.

SuSE are very active in the educational arena in the UK and they
maintain an excellent schools mailing list. It appears that most of my
colleagues are using SuSE to implement their proxy web cache. As a
Debian user (well Storm now) i would prefer to use Debian or Storm
Linux.

Everyone says how easy it is to set up squid using YAST in SuSE Linux.
Does anyone have any experience of setting up squid in Debian? Is it
harder?

I have no experience of Linux and networking, apart from connecting my
workstation to the Internet so it has to be relatively easy!!

Thanks.

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Storm Linux