Re: Exim configuration on cable modem gateway

Phil Brutsche wrote:

> A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far way, someone said...
>
> > I think the same effect could be achieved simply by changing
> > 'qualify_domain' in exim.conf to 'creighton.edu', in this case.  If I'm
> > understanding the problem correctly.
>
> Not quite - the message appeard to come from "phil@creighton.edu" rather
> than "pbrutsch@creighton.edu".  Note the difference in the user name...
>
> That caused other problems, as well: messages for user "root" (ie mail
> generated from errors in cron) went to "root@creighton.edu", which is
> definitely not me.
>
> Telling exim that "creighton.edu" is not local to the workstation and
> using the rewriting rules that I described made all my problems go away.

D'oh!  I missed your desired change in user name.  Of course, no global
file like exim.conf would do that.

Looks like maybe David needed that too, since his bounce message was
showing "root@..." and what he really wanted was "dmaze@...", though he
could post from dmaze on his machine (might be better anyway) and use my
solution.  Whatever...