(Fwd) "no DRQ after issuing WRITE"

Hi Everyone,

I have just installed Potato on an old P233. I put it on a new 17GB
UDMA drive (Seagate), which the bios does not recognize
correctly. It works fine with kernel 2.2.17, but I get the folloing
message from time to time:

hda: status timeout: state=0xd0 { Busy }
hda: no DRQ after issuing WRITE
ide0: reset: success

normally when I am doing some intensive disk access (like
updatedb, for example). If I boot from a floppy with kernel 2.0.36,
this does not happen.

Any information at all would be helpful, but my specific question is
this - Is this a problem with the 2.2.17 kernel, working with an old
bios/motherboard (I also installed the 2.2.17 kernel patched for
UDMA disks, but this has not helped...)? Is this some type of disk
failure that the 2.0.36 kernel does not report, but that the new
kernel does? Is there a way to deal with this in software, or should I
think about returning the hard drive?

Many Thanks,

JP

Montse Rue