Re: Printing : Kernel 2.2.17 problems ?

Joel, Bish, Stephen, and others,

I've been following this discussion for some time (as it has morphed),
and I think it's getting to a point where my problems might be
relevant. I hope so, because I'm getting a little desperate.

I'm using:

    Woody
    lprng
    apsfilter
    kernel 2.2.17

I've had the same problem substituting any one or several of the following:
     Potato
     lpr
     magicfilter

But: my printing worked under SuSE 6.1. (So, it's not hardware.)

Basically, I can't print using 'lpr -Pfoo bar.*' , but (and this is
curious) I can print a test page from the apsfilterconfig
program! (Not exactly a convenient way to print something, though:
'ln -s path_of_file_you_want_to_print \
path_of_file_aprsfilterconfig_test_page' :-)  )

Now here's the interesting, potentially revealing, component: I find
the following error message buried away in
/var/spool/lpd/bjc600-letter-auto-mono/status.lp2 :

"IF filter 'aps-bjc600-letter-auto-mono' filter msg - 'a2ps: received signal 13: Broken pipe' at 2000-09-04-11:10:53.271 ## A=dan@dgrismac+776 number=776 process=12778"

When I saw that, I thought "Ah Hah! A broken pipe!"

But what does it mean? Or rather, what pipe is broken, and how do I fix it?

Thanks,
Dan

--
Dan Griswold