Re: built-in bash functions

On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 03:31:22PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 02:51:27PM -0400, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 01:56:01PM -0400, Joey Tsai wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, there are some utilities built into bash, but ls is not one of them.  ls
> > > belongs to package "fileutils".
> > >
> > > But since you mention it,
> > >
> > > [corban][12:55pm][~] $ type type
> > > type is a shell builtin
> >
> >     Strange that it wouldn't show up on a type -p then. I'll have to re-read
> > that part of the manpage.
>
> just to spice up this:
>
> [eb@socrates eb]$ cat /usr/bin/which
> #!/bin/bash
> unalias -a
> unset -- "$@" &> /dev/null
> enable -n -- "$@" &> /dev/null
> type -p "$@"
> [eb@socrates eb]$
>
> i found this rather interesting since debian is the only distribution
> (ive seen anyway) where which is a shell script instead of a compiled
> binary.

Oh, I dunno, haven't looked at slugaris?

[balin:~] 41 % cat /usr/bin/which
#! /usr/bin/csh -f
#ident  "@(#)which.csh  1.2     92/07/14 SMI"
#
#
#       which : tells you which program you get
#
# Set prompt so .cshrc will think we're interactive and set aliases.
# Save and restore path to prevent .cshrc from messing it up.

(etc... it's long and ugly)

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting