Re: install-mbr vs lilo

Essentially, you can use just Lilo by itself, or you can use both.

If you could post contents of your /etc/lilo.conf, and a summary of
your partitions (fdisk -l), it might be easier to see what the
problem might be.

Anyway, here's a quick comparison of the two as I understand them:

Install-mbr only installs a master boot record, whose function is to:
1) Determine which partition to boot from (from user input or by
   default)
2) Call the boot code located in the first sector of the chosen boot
   partition, which then is responsible for actually booting the OS.

BIOS ==>> install-mbr in MBR ==>> partition boot code ==>> OS kernel

In the case of Linux, that boot code in the first sector of the
partition is usually Lilo, which is needed to boot the kernel.
Install-mbr itself can not boot the Linux kernel - Lilo is needed for
that. So if you use install-mbr, you also need Lilo installed in the
partition's boot sector. In the case of NT, Win2k etc., they have their
own specific boot code which they automatically install in the
partition's boot sector.

Lilo is much more versatile, and can install either a master boot record
(boot=/dev/hda), or a partition boot record (boot=/dev/hdxx).

If installed as a partition boot record, it needs something else in the
MBR to call it - like install-mbr, or the standard MS mbr code, or some
boot manager like System Commander. (could also be another copy of
Lilo).

BIOS ==>> something in mbr ==>> Lilo ==>> Lilo menu choice

Once you get to Lilo (whether in the MBR or in a partition boot sector),
there are two fundamental ways it can boot an OS from there.
1) directly boot a Linux kernel as specified in "image="
   ...Lilo ==>> Linux kernel
2) call a partition boot sector as specified in "other="
   ...Lilo ==>> partition boot code ==>> OS kernel

There are almost endless variations of how Lilo can be configured.
And actually, much of the Lilo boot code is contained in /boot/boot.b,
which is called from the small amount of code that will fit in the boot
sector. Install-mbr's code is completely contained in the MBR sector.
Both can also be installed in a floppy boot sector.

Hope some of this was useful for you....

Tom