Re: Message saying this lists's mailbox is full

From: Bruce Sass <bsass@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 14:48:17 -0600 (MDT)

>> "Mailbox full" messages are NOT spam. Altho the "full" messages are just as annoying, spam is email for COMMERCIAL SOLICITATION.
>
>I though spam was any inappropriate and unsolicited message sent out to
>a large number of email addresses - which is what netvigator.com is
>doing... or does it matter that they are doing it piecemeal, rather than
>in one big mailing.

No. Spam is UCE - Unsolicited *Commercial* Email. While these messages are inappropriate (if they'd fix their system, we wouldn't be getting them) and unsolicited (in that we didn't ask for them), they are *not* commercial. Therefore not spam, and therefore not subject (or should not be) to RBL, spamfilters, legal decrees against UCE, etc.

--
Michael Leone