Re: best location for downloads?

On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 12:53:56PM -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 09:22:30PM -0700, Dale Morris (dlm@well.com) wrote:
> > Hi,
> > What's the best location for downloaded files? I've been putting them in
> > my home directory but I just read the 'best' place is
> > /usr/local/downloads
> > whatd'ya'll think?
> > thanks
>
> $HOME, a subdirectory thereof, or /tmp, where they're automatically
> wiped out for me after a few days.  Possibly /usr/local/src for system
> utilities, programs, or install files.
>
> I usually create a ~/Download directory and run through and clean it
> when space gets tight.
>
> Your personal download files are (typically) not system files.  They
> should be associated with your user account and space.

if you're running your own home lan, you're probably downloading system
utilities now and then.

if in source file format, i put mine in

	/usr/local/src/<source-domain-name.com>/<utilitiyname>

so i can track down updates more easily. when they compile (which they
do on occasion, but usually i just get errors here and 'missing components'
there) i then do

so i'll know for sure (via ls -l /usr/local/sbin) it's not part of the
vanilla debian arrangement.

good to keep nonstandard munges separate in the directory tree (which is
basically what /usr/local is for) so you can 1) back them up easily, 2)
restore them easily, and 3) keep them separate, mentally, from the vanilla
setup from apt-get install...

of course, for music files and graphics and other such trivial waste-hogs,
(where i don't dabble) you should keep those local to your user home
directory. (or better yet, store then in /dev/null. :)