new modutils killed esd

Hello,

About a week or two ago(ambiguity b/c I don't use sound much and didn't notice the problem for a few days), I did an apt-get upgrade and modutils was one of the things that got upgraded and I'm guessing that is what caused the problem.  After that update, if I try to use esd, it doesn't work.  I also have a TV card and used xawtv - no sound anymore.  Here's some output:
esdplay /usr/share/licq/sounds/Monty-Python.wav
/dev/dsp: Device or resource busy

>From the appropriate section of /etc/modules.conf:
### update-modules: start processing /etc/modutils/arch/i386
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias char-major-10-144 nvram
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330

### update-modules: end processing /etc/modutils/arch/i386

This worked prior to the upgrade of modutils, but since then no sound.
Running Debian Woody -- yes, I have myself added to the audio group :) and this happens even as root.

The card is an old ISA Soundblaster.  I use /etc/isapnp.conf - no changes in that after the upgrade.  It is detected perfectly fine on bootup:
Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
SB 4.16 detected OK (220)

Not sure what caused this odd behavior, but any suggestions are very welcome.
Misconfiguration when merging changes in files updated with modutils perhaps?

Thanks,

isetr0