Re: Netscape 4.75 ??

On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 12:27:50PM -0400, Mike Leone wrote:
> >I have no idea, since i don't have KDE installed and happen to get
> >along just fine with navigator-standalone.  But how about installing
> >it yourself and trying it out?  It's free software and just an apt-get
> >command (or two) away:
>
> Is Konqueror KDE2?

Yes.

> >Duh, some 50.5MB worth of dependencies just for a web browser is a bit
> >hefty, isn't it?
>
> You're not getting JUST a browser; you're getting all of KDE.

Yes, that's the problem.

I wouldn't mind that if i'd been running KDE2 anyway, but i don't.
The same is naturally valid for GNOME applications.  If one wants to
run a GNOME app like "gnumeric", there is always this hefty space
penalty involved.  And since i'm happy running a simple window manager
only this is hard to swallow actually.  I just don't buy an integrated
desktop's benefits when it mainly snatches away large portions of my
valuable RAM that i'd rather see used for the apps i'm running.  On
the other hand though, both KDE2 and GNOME have started to offer
really nice stuff lately. :-)
                                Cheers, P. *8^)