Exim configuration on cable modem gateway

I have a machine set up as an IP masquerading gateway, connecting
between an in-house 10base-T LAN and a cable modem.  On eth0, it has a
host name of 'annular-fried-pastry' (sometimes known as 'donut'), and
an IP address of 192.168.1.1.  Its configuration on eth1 is returned
from the cable modem provider via DHCP.

Occasionally, outgoing mail gets sent (as much as anywhere else from
the 'logcheck' package).  A .forward file in my user's account
forwards mail to dmaze@mit.edu.  This all seems to work well enough.

The problem is, some of the MIT mail hubs don't like my mail.  This
appears to be because the SMTP envelope lists the mail as coming from
<root@annular-fried-pastry>, which doesn't resolve.  The MIT mail hub
refuses the mail, so Exim on donut bounces it.  The bounce gets sent
to the mail's sender with an SMTP envelope sender of <>; the forward
chain pushes the bounce message to my MIT account.

I'd really like to get the system log summaries outside of a bounce
message.  Ideally, I'd like the mail to get sent using the machine's
external host name as the address in the outgoing SMTP envelope.  (And
I'd prefer not to set this explicitly, since I do get an IP address
and a host name via DHCP.)  Failing this, I'd like to send mail out
through my provider's mail server, and use some address as the SMTP
sender.  Can Exim deal with this setup, and if so, how?  Would some
other SMTP daemon be a better choice here?

TIA,

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell