RE: apt-get tut

On 21-Sep-2000 Ray Percival wrote:
> Does anyone know of a place with good apt-get info? That and a couple of
> questions. How does one find out what packages are out there? I'm looking for
> helix code Gnome 1.2 in particular but would really like general info. Also
> is X 4.x apt-getable and if not how do you do a .deb that is not. Thanks for
> your help.
> Ray

X 4 is not officially packaged yet.  Doing so involves a significant change to
Debian.  It will appear though.

As for a apt-get tutorial, one is attached to this message. And as always, look
in /usr/share/doc/<package>.

To find out what is available, the "best" way is to use either dselect or
console-apt.  Both of these give a console, curses based GUI.