modul installation problems

Why is it that, when installing the kernel moduls in debian 2.1 I had
no problem installing the network card (3c509) and the printer (lp); I
just hit the "enter" and the modul was installed, and now can not
install the printer port, no metter what I do, the modul installation
always fails. Az for the network card installing 3x509 sometimes the
installation succeds, and sometimes not. When the installation fails,
I have to restert the installation (and restart the computer to).
After this the 3c509 installs just fine (by just hitting the enter)?

Attila