Re: mail sorting

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 19:53:39 Olivier Billet wrote:
> Hi evrybody ! I wonder if it's possible to sort mails with sender's name as
key and for example put the result in different folders.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Olivier.

Entirely.

I'm personally using procmail but there are other scripts as well.
With graphical setup tool, this means:
Get procmail and dotfile installed.
As mailbox owner, run dotfile. Choose procmail module.
Set up your mail filters.
(Btw, sorting out the debian-lists is very handy. I sort by "resent-from")
Do "generate" and possibly "save"
Rename dot.procmailrc to .procmailrc
Set up a .forward file in the base directory of your user account. Mine is
"|/usr/bin/procmail" (with the quotes actually but I guess you can do without too)
and works fine with exim.

Tada!!

(You can do well with a backup of all mails in the beginning (as suggested)
till you're sure everything works okay.)

Harald