Re: deb packages not offered: lame xcdplay?

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 12:36:01PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> Michael Smith <msmith4@gladstone.uoregon.edu> wrote:
> >Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >> there are a few packages i like to have, like lame and xcdplay.
> >> can't find any deb pkgs, though.
> >
> >There was an intent to package (ITP) lame awhile ago--check out the
> >debian developer list archives.
>
> lame can't be packaged, as MP3 encoders are encumbered by a patent of
> the Fraunhofer Institute.

Support Ogg/Vorbis.  http://www.ogg.org/ http://www.vorbis.com/

I believe the plan is to make a video codec.  If it becomes popular enough
(hint, hint) then perhaps we can look forward to hardware that supports the
patent free Ogg/Vorbis.

BTW, it's apparently much better than mp3 and comparable to the latest and
greatest audio formats (sorry, I'm not sure what they are.  see the website
for more info).

They have beta's of a player, encoder, xmms plugin, winamp plugin, and beos
stuff as well I think.  The software is GPL/LGPL.

--
Pat Mahoney	<patmahoney@gmx.net>

Hobbes:  Do you have an idea for your story yet?
Calvin:  No, I'm waiting for inspiration.  You can't just turn on
         creativity like a faucet.  You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes:  What mood is that?
Calvin:  Last-minute panic.
                -- From "Calvin and Hobbes" by Bill Watterson