Re: [OFF-TOPIC] Video Servers

The problem is that the service must be able to provide for a large number of
video formats, namely:

Real* (there is a server for Linux)
Quicktime (there is some support through Apple's Darwin, but still not very
reliable)
ASF (I wish)
Avi
Mpeg

I've tried to look into this as well. I don't know much about the technology but have been doing a lot of reading. Try linuxtelephony.org for a backround about streaming video and there should be a link there to openH.323 which from what i gather is a standard on how audiovisual data is transmitted across the internet using RSP and RSTP protocols. From what I see its used primarily for videoconferencing but im sure it can be tailored to streaming VoD.

-Joe Rivelli