Re: apt-get problems

Apparently kernel-image-2.2.17-1 uses an epoch, so apt (or dselect)
wants to replace your image with that one.  This happened at least once
before and the way to avoid the problem is to use an epoch yourself
when creating the package:

make-kpkg --revision=3:custom.1.0 kernel_image

/usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz has some discussion of this.

Bob