Re: gpm and X and mouse

Yes, I wonder this too.  I think current /etc/gpm.conf default is bad.
Here is background and solution.

gpm repeat data to /dev/gpmdata but in MS Mouse protocol in its
default setting.  So if you set X mouse setting to read from
/dev/gpmdata with MS mouse protocol, it works.  (Well not perfect,
it becomes 2 button mouse.)

Better solution:
Set in /etc/gpm.conf as:

repeat_data=raw

and set X to read /dev/gpmdata with ps2 protocol.

Viola! it worked for me.

Someone needs to file wishlist for this.  I think almost all Linux user
have 3 button ps2 mouse anyway.