Re: free Interrnet provider for Linux and exim

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 10:04:51PM +0300, Dan Pomohaci wrote:
> Thanks everybody (and especially Tim Anderson) who helped me to find
> an free Internet provider for Linux. I succeeded to connect to
> worldshare.net.
> Now I have an other question. How can I use their outgoing server
> (smtp.worldshare.net) for relaying my email. In exim.conf I put:
> smarthost:
>   driver = domainlist
>   transport = remote_smtp
>   route_list = "* smtp.worldshare.net bydns_a"
> but it isn't enough because I received the error message:
>     553 To send mail, first check your mail with a valid POP account;
> this prevents  unauthorized SPAM relaying. (#5.7.1)
>
> Dan Pomohaci

As other poster have mentioned, yes you must check POP before SMTP.  I found
postfix to be better than exim for this.  Postfix, for me, is a bit harder
to configure, but you can set it to "defer" the sending of all SMTP mail.  I
don't know if exim can do this...?  I suppose it can, but my experience with
exim is that, when you are online, any mail you send will be routed to the
smarthost immediately, which is not what you want with a pop-before-smtp
setup.

Anyway, I wrote a simple script called "mail-send" which checks the POP
account with fetchmail and then runs sendmail -q.

You said you signed up with worldshare?  I was under the impression that
they were switching to an ad bar and no longer supported linux/sega
dreamcast/webTV because rhino point (the company who bought the monthly
surveys) is apparently out of business...

This worries me a lot, because worldshare is my family's isp and I have been
searching for a replacement for several days with no luck.  I am also in the
process of installing linux on a new laptop for my sister.  We convinced her
to use free software, and we promised her we could get her an isp for
$15/yeaar.  She will not be happy and I will be angry that she could have
had "free" internet if she had stuck with windows...

--
Pat Mahoney	<pat7@gmx.net>

I had no shoes and I pitied myself.  Then I met a man who had no feet,
so I took his shoes.
                -- Dave Barry